| and ending with the words «with another of those iron handshakes».
4. Translate into English aurally. 1) После смерти Бжезинского (1928-2017) выяснилось, что в 1928 году он родился. г. Харькове на улице Ольминского в польском консульстве, где работали его родители, но был ими записан, как якобы родившийся в Польше. 2) Большинство работ Бжезинского секретны. 3) В 1977 и 2007 г. Бжезинский писал разделы грандстратегии США на очередные 20 лет. 4) Он в 1969 г. придумал стратегию ведения войны против СССР руками Китая, в 1977 г. придумал стратегию опиумной и партизанской войны против СССР руками муджахедов с территории Афганистана. 5) Этот геостратег был автором стратегии создания исламского халифата в Средней Азии и удара руками муджахедов по России из ее подбрюшья. 6) Бжезинский был автором теории технотронной эры, концепции американской гегемонии нового типа, глобальной стратегии борьбы с коммунизмом (Россией), геостратегии (применения насилия) Америки. 7) Бжезинский 1.10.2014 г. создал «Институт геостратегии Бжезинского» в вашингтонском Центре стратегических и международных исследований. 8) В 2016 году Бжезинский в одном из последних интервью сказал, что Запад должен сделать все, чтобы остановить «реставрацию советского строя» - код обозначения сильной экономики и системы управления в России.
5. Write a paper in 130-150 words on Brzezinsky`s role in geopolitics.
Nicky Oppenheimer http://altairtimes.com/nicky-oppenheimer-between-diamonds-and-gold
Nicky Oppenheimer has a seat on the Council on Foreign Relations. In 2016, his net worth was $6.95 billion. Nicky and his son have a country estate in the Berkshire county of England. He owned an estate and organic farm near Maidenhead (UK) but still retained "extensive investments" in South Africa and in mining group Anglo-American, said The Sunday Times. Nicky lives in the suburb of London, but he is considered to be the richest men in South Africa (2012) and the second richest man on the African continent. Along with his son Jonathan, Nicholas has the largest private wilderness conservation in South Africa and it is used as a luxury private game reserve that can be visited. He invested in 4Di Capital in 2012, although the exact figures are undisclosed and thus it is quite difficult to estimate the total net worth of the Oppenheimer family. Some experts consider Nicky Oppenheimer to be the shadow ruler of South Africa because in 2012-2016 he owned 80% of stocks listed at Johannesburg stock exchange.
In 1917 Nicky`s grandfather created the Anglo-American mining company in South Africa at the largest gold field in the world, the Witwatersrand close to Johannesburg. The grandfather didn’t settle with his work in the mine and in 1929 he also took control of the De Beers Company, transforming it into the largest diamond business in the world. The two companies were connected via cross-shareholdings and transformed into a multinational company with the headquarters in London and the producer of no less than 40% of the platinum in the world. When the grandfather was too old he passed the reigns to his son who was appointed chairman in 1957. Nicholas was staying in England during his school years, studying at Christ Church in Oxford after which he graduated with a Master of Arts degree. Nicky Oppenheimer was Chairman of De Beers Consolidated Mines Limited. He also served as a Director of De Beers Holdings Limited and De Beers Group Limited. He previously served as Deputy Chairman of Anglo-American Corporation. The diamond business was a very complicated one and a lot of bad media was going on about diamonds being traded through conflict zones. This created the concept of blood diamonds and Nicky Oppenheimer sought a way of distancing himself from this business. So, in 2011 after a scandal of blood diamonds he sold the company. He made a bulk of his wealth in 2011 when he sold his 40% stake in the De Beers diamond operation for $4.6 billion.
1. Translate the text aurally on the spot.
2. Find the Russian equivalents of the following.
1) a lot of bad media was going on, 2) the concept of blood diamonds, 3) to distance from the business, 4) a scandal of blood diamonds, 5) a private wilderness conservation, 6) a luxury private game reserve
3. Answer the questions about the text in writing.
1) What is De Beers corporation business?
2) When was the Anglo-American mining company created?
3) What did Nicky Oppenheimer own in the UK?
4) Who was the richest men in South Africa in 2012?
5) What is the concept of blood diamonds?
6) What was Nicky Oppenheimer`s net worth in 2016?
7) Why was Nicky Oppenheimer considered to be South Africa shadow ruler?
4. Translate into English aurally. 1) Компанию по добыче алмазов «Де Бирс консолидейтид майнз» в 1888 году создал миллионер Сесил Родс, имевший тесные связи с кланом Ротшильдов. 2) Сесил Родс и Лондонский алмазный синдикат установили монополию на продажу алмазов и в 1888-1901 годах контролировали 90 % мирового рынка алмазов. 3) В 2011 году семья Оппенгеймеров продала 40 % акций Де Бирс, так как в 2008-2010 годах она несла убытки из-за резкого снижения спроса на алмазы и конкуренции с российской компанией АЛРОСА, подорвавшей ее монополию. 4) Совет директоров компании Англо-Американ в 2011 году отказался от предложения, чтобы его возглавил младший член семьи Оппенгеймеров.
5. Write the text`s summary and its 5 key words in English
JFK Assassination Coverup
We live in a time of very unpleasant realities. Truth has become such a valuable commodity that the government of the United States and the media have started (to put it politely) economizing it. Documented cases of media deception over the years have made it clear that the media lies to the public on important issues. As Richard Salent, Former President of CBS News has stated, media’s job is to feed the public what media thinks the public ought to know. Clearly, anything that happens that the media doesn’t think the public needs to know about will simply not be reported. There is a carefully crafted illusion of an independent media, but it is illusion only. Since WW2, the Central Intelligence Agency has been running Operation Mockingbird which places CIA assets in management positions of all the media. The CIA wields a great deal of control over the media. Because of the special operation of Kennedy assassination coverage in the media, plus others so numerous as to be beyond the scope of this article, it has become popular to refer to members of the media as “presstitutes”, in keeping with John Swinton’s quite honest assessment of his own profession. It therefore follows that, since the presstitutes write or broadcast what they are told to write and broadcast, that all media presents to the public is what the owners and controllers of the media want you to think. And over and over again, you are being lied to. By way of example, let’s take a look at the JFK assassination. For fifty years, the government and the media sang a uniform chorus of “lone assassin” and “Magic Bullet”, even though careful analysis showed that the media was using fraudulent photos to sell these claims. Before Kennedy was assassinated, he canceled 70 billion dollars in military contracts. On June 10, 1963 Kennedy said in American University Commencement Address: “One day after I am long gone, you will remember me and say, we should have … abolished the Federal Reserve…» The menace to Federal Reserve was the main reason the top bankers ordered CIA to kill JFK. Though much of the evidence has been destroyed over the years, and more than 74 people who knew about the conspiracy have been murdered to keep them quiet, but yet the evidence that still remains is overwhelming. It was Allen Dalles – director of the shadow CIA in a command post called The Farm, in northern Virginia; General Edward Lansdale; head of CIA Executive Action (assassination of foreign leaders) Bill Harvey, George Bush Sr. and all of their buddies in the CIA, together with Cuban mercenary snipers and Mafia snipers that killed Kennedy. But they received their orders from the masterminds behind the conspiracy. The day of JFK assassination was carefully chosen according to the Occult tradition. November is 11 – the number of the Egyptian God Pteh who rules the Underworld. 22 is 2 + 2 = 4 – the number of Egyptian Goddess of Death. On April 20, 1963 Bill Harvey had dinner with Mafia's Handsome Johnnie Roselli and an unknown person at the Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami and "operational hotel rooms" at the Eden Roc Hotel in Miami where they discussed JFK assassination plot. Lyndon B. Johnson was the part of the plot. LBJ told both his mistress and his ex-wife about the assassination, the night before Kennedy was killed. The president car had come to a complete stop for 2 seconds, between the two yellow stripes which had been painted on the curb, marking the exact location where the president was to be executed in a crossfire. These yellow stripes which had been just freshly painted on the curb that morning, prove without a shadow of a doubt that this was a carefully planned assassination involving several conspirators. Beverly Oliver known as the "Babushka Lady" was gazing through the lens of her new movie camera tacking pictures of the president`s car as it passed by, and she accidentally stepped on the yellow stripe on the curb, and got yellow paint on her new black shoes, which she has kept to this very day. It turns out that eight, or ten shots appear to have been fired from six different locations. Duncan Brown, who began an affair with LBJ in 1948 and bore him a son, Steven, in 1950, told professor emeritus Jim Fetzer (the University of Minnesota) about their rendezvous at the Driskill Hotel in Austin, TX, on New Year’s Eve, only six weeks after the assassination, when she confronted him with rumors that he had been involved, since no one stood to gain more personally, whereupon Lyndon blew up and told her that the CIA and the oil boys had decided that JFK had to be taken out. George H.W. Bush was working for the CIA. He was recruited in his college days, at Yale, when he was in the Skull and Bones Society. He and his wife Barbara moved to Houston where he ran an offshore oil drilling business, Zapata Offshore Co., which was a CIA front company with rigs located all over the world, making it very convenient for him to vanish for weeks at a time on CIA business where one would not suspect what he was doing. Bush was a major organizer and recruiter for April 1961 Cuba invasion, which was codenamed Operation ZAPATA. Col. Fletcher Prouty, former Pentagon high ranking official, who was the basis for the “Col. X” character in Oliver Stone’s “JFK”, obtained two Navy ships for the operation that were repainted to non-Navy colors and then renamed HOUSTON - GHWB home city`s name and BARBARA - GHWB wife`s name. George H.W. “Poppy” Bush is one of the few who could never recall where he was or what he was doing when JFK was assassinated; as a matter of fact, for over 20 years, he could not recall any details at all. He was 39 years old at the time and chairman of the Harris County (Houston) Republican Party and an outspoken critic of JFK. But on 21 November 1963, GHWB was staying at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Dallas and spoke that very evening to the American Association of Oil Drilling Contractors. Sometime later, he was reportedly at “the ratification meeting” at the home of Clint Murchison, Sr., receiving last minute instructions and toasting JFK’s murder the night before it happened. We have a photo of GHWB standing in front of the Texas School Book Depository; we have photos of Ed Lansdale in Dealey Plaza at the time; and we have yet another photo in which Lansdale, who was famous for arranging assassinations around the world, is waiting to speak to GHWB. In this case, it may justifiably be said that “these pictures really are worth more than a thousand words”. The available evidence suggests that GHWB was on assignment for the CIA and was supervising the Dal-Tex hit team, from which three shots appear to have been fired with a Mannlicher-Carcano, which appears to have been the only non-silenced weapon that was used. An FBI Memo from director J. Edgar Hoover, discovered by John McBride in 1988 but written just seven days after the assassination, provides verification George H.W. Bush was an officer of the CIA in 1963 and was provided updates on the anti-Castro Cubans. Texas governor John Connelly went to his grave insisting he was not hit by the same gunshot that had hit John F. Kennedy. The Zapruder film bears him out, showing Connelly, after John Kennedy has clutched his throat, still holding his Stetson hat in the hand which was just moments later, struck by a bullet. A different bullet. One shot that had been fired had missed and injured a distant bystander, James Tague. Extensive, meticulous and detailed examination of the medical, ballistic and eyewitness testimony supports the conclusion that JFK was hit four times–once in the back (from behind); once in the throat (from in front); and twice in the head (once in the back of the head from behind and once in the right temple from the right/front). None of those shots appear to have been fired from the 6th floor “assassin’s lair” but three from the Dal-Tex, where the acoustics were such that they sounded as though they could have been fired from the Texas School Book Depository. On November 22, 1963 the US media became the part of a coverup operation, spreading a carefully prepared legend and lies.
1. Find the Russian equivalents of the following.
1) CIA asset, 2) the “presstitutes”, 3) to use fraudulent photos, 4) the masterminds behind the conspiracy, 5) the oil boys, 6) no one stood to gain more personally, 7) to run an offshore oil drilling business, 8) a CIA front company, 9) non-Navy colors, 10) “the ratification meeting”, 11) to arrange assassinations around the world, 12) the Dal-Tex hit team, 13) an “assassin’s lair”. 2. Answer the questions about the text in writing.
1) What is the objective of operation MOCKINGBIRD?
2) Why were JFK assassination investigation documents kept secret in 2017?
3) Who was interested in killing JFK?
4) Why did the Secret Service allow JFK to ride in an open-top car?
5) Was it possible for everyone to know in advance the exact route of the US president`s motorcade?
6) Why did the president`s car stop in a location marked with two freshly painted yellow stripes on the curb?
7) Were media moguls the part of JFK assassination coverup operation?
3. Translate the text aurally.
4. Translate the text in writing beginning with the words «We live in a time» and ending with the words «to sell these claims»,
beginning with the words «Lyndon blew up and told her» and ending with the words «updates on the anti-Castro Cubans ».
5. Translate into English aurally. 1) В период президентства Билла Клинтона были рассекречены некоторые документы об убийстве Кеннеди, но фотографии тела Кеннеди, сделанные во время патолого-анатомической экспертизы, оказались поддельными. 2) Подделать фотографии в секретном архиве могли только агенты спецслужб, получившие разрешение на доступ в архив от высшего руководителя страны. 3) Бывший сотрудник охраны президента перед смертью дал интервью режиссеру Оливеру Стоуну и сказал, что руководство службы охраны участвовало в планировании убийства Кеннеди. 3) Оливер Стоун сообщил Мэтту Золлеру Сейтцу сведения исповеди о разработке плана убийства Кеннеди лишь после смерти агента секретной службы и его сына.
6. Present aurally the general idea of the text in 4-6 sentences. 7. Write the text`s summary and its 5 key words in English
8. Write a paper of 130-150 words on the general idea of the text.
Maxwell`s secret business
https://pagesix.com/2017/05/24/woman-who-says-she-was-jeffrey-epsteins-sex-slave-settles-suit/ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ article-2897753/Ghislaine-Maxwell-woman-accused-facilitating-Prince-Andrew-s-acts-abuse.html
Robert Maxwell (1923–1991) was born in яWestern Ukraine as Jan Ludwik Hyman Binyamin Hoch. In 1946, he became the British citizen and in 1948 changed his name. In 1991 he owned 400 companies, had a £3 billion debt, so, his net worth was only $19 million. He was the British media mogul and a double agent, passing intelligence to MI6 and a foreign secret service. He developed links to mafias, from New York to Hong Kong to South America and dealt in illegal arms sales, drugs, money laundering, contract killings. Maxwell secretly dealt in sex trafficking for the members of the royal family and other powerful people. In 1991, the British newspapers published articles, accusing Maxwell of being a superspy. In 1991, he transferred more than $1 billion to his private companies from pension funds and two private companies controlled by the Maxwell family. This sum included £460 million from Mirror Group Newspapers pension fund. On November 5, 1991 Maxwell was killed by the unknown intelligence service agents. The British media reported a legend that Maxwell plunged to his death from the deck of his yacht while cruising off the Canary Islands. It was revealed 25 years later that a measured dose of a nerve agent was injected into Maxwell`s neck behind his right ear, and he was thrown overboard. In November 1991, Maxwell`s youngest daughter Ghislaine (born in 1961) fled to the US where her father had a sex trafficking business. She jointly kept sex-slave harem with the financier Jeffrey Epstein and «loaned» underaged girls to presidents, prime-ministers and powerful people to gain profitable contracts and possible blackmail information. In 2015, 'Jane Doe 3' (Virginia Giuffre) sued Ghislaine Maxwell in the US court accusing her of procuring under-age girls to have sex with Epstein and British Prince Andrew. She was approached by Maxwell in 1999, when she was 15, and claimed that Maxwell and Epstein intimidated to kill her, made her a sex slave, toughed her to be a prostitute and in 2001, three times "loaned" her to British Prince Andrew. She also claimed that the first time she met Prince Andrew was at Ghislaine Maxwell's home in London, where she was flown at the request of Epstein. One picture, said to have been taken by Epstein during Andrew's first encounter with the girl in March 2001, shows the Prince with his arm around her waist as Ghislaine Maxwell looks on. Describing what happened, Virginia Giuffre said Epstein invited her to accompany him on a six-week trip in 2001. They flew to Paris, then Spain, then Tangier and finally, they went to London. Virginia said: 'After we landed, we drove straight to Ghislaine's Maxwell's house' and 'was given a small upstairs bedroom.' She said: 'The following morning, Ghislaine came in. She was chirpy and jumped on the bed saying, 'Get up, sleepyhead. You've got a big day. We've got to go shopping. You need a dress as you're going to dance with a Prince tonight.' 'She said I needed to be 'smiley' and bubbly because he was the Queen's son. 'Ghislaine and I went to Burberry, where she bought me a £5,000 bag, and to a few other designer stores where we bought a couple of dresses, a pair of embroidered jeans and a pink singlet, perfume and make-up,' she said. Giuffre accused Maxwell of even telling her how to dress — like a schoolgirl without underpants — before taking Giuffre to see Prince Andrew. 'We got back to Ghislaine's house at around 4pm and I ran straight upstairs to shower and dress. 'When I went downstairs, Ghislaine and Jeffrey were in the lounge. There was a knock at the door. Ghislaine led Andrew in and we kissed each other on the cheek. 'Ghislaine served tea from a porcelain pot and biscuits. She knew Sarah Ferguson and they talked fondly about Andrew's daughters. 'Then Ghislaine asked Andrew how old he thought I was and he guessed 17'. The four of them went out to dinner and on to Tramp nightclub where, she says, Andrew danced with her. 'After about an hour-and-a-half, we drove back to Ghislaine's. All of us went upstairs and I asked Jeffrey to snap a picture of me with the Prince. I wanted something to show my Mom. Ghislaine and Jeffrey left us after that, and later Andrew left'. On the eve of trial on May 24, 2017, Virginia Giuffre who said she was a sex slave of Jeffrey Epstein settled her defamation lawsuit against the billionaire pervert’s former girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell. The amount of the settlement was undisclosed in public, but Virginia Giuffre — who claims Maxwell lured her into Epstein’s sex-slave harem when she was a teenager — said she is “pleased” with the result. Giuffre sued Maxwell in Manhattan federal court in 2015 for publicly denying that she procured Giuffre for Epstein when she was underage and called Virginia Roberts. Giuffre lawyers said they wanted to question Epstein about flight logs detailing the more than 23 plane trips he and Maxwell took with Giuffre when she was still a minor. The May 25-scheduled trial was expected to be a show-stopper, with testimony about private planes and rendezvous with wealthy and connected people, including Epstein’s pal British Prince Andrew. At a pretrial hearing lawyer Paul Cassell said he planned to ask the financier “On March 9, 2001, did you fly on a private jet from Tangiers to London with Ms. Giuffre and Ms. Maxwell?” In her lawsuit, Giuffre claimed Maxwell lied about her role in “an effort to conceal sex trafficking crimes committed around the world by Maxwell, Epstein and other powerful persons.” While she didn’t name those “powerful persons” in her lawsuit, she has previously accused famed appeals lawyer Dershowitz. She has also claimed she saw former president Clinton in 2002 at Epstein’s “orgy island” in the US Virgin Islands, where group sex was a “regular occurrence.” “We are happy to have settled this matter without the need for a trial and are pleased with the result,” Giuffre said in a statement. She agreed to dismiss the case due to their settlement. Mr. Epstein, who stands accused of having arranged underage girls as sex slaves for his wealthy friends, arranged settlements with victims named as LM ($1 mln), Jane Doe ($2.5 mln) and EW ($2 mln).
1. Find the Russian equivalents of the following.
1) to be offered a job by MI6, 2) to go heavily into debt, 3) to go out to dinner, 4) to snap a picture, 5) a defamation lawsuit, 6) the trial was expected to be a show-stopper. 7) the wealthy and connected people, 8) a pretrial hearing, 9) an “orgy island” in the US Virgin Islands, 10) to dismiss the case due to the settlement, 11) to arrange a settlement with victims. 2. Answer the questions about the text in writing.
1) Where was Robert Maxwell born?
2) Did Robert Maxwell receive a bachelor degree?
3) What was Robert Maxwell`s military rank in May 1945?
4) When did Robert Maxwell become MI6 agent?
5) What was Ghislaine Maxwell`s secret business in 1991-2006?
6) Why did Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell "loan" underaged sex slaves to presidents, prime-ministers and powerful people?
3. Translate the text aurally.
4. Translate into English aurally. 1) В декабре 2017 года в сети Интернет на русском языке отсутствовали какие либо сведения о скандальном бизнесе Гвислейн Максвелл, хотя газеты, сетевые издания Британии и США публиковали об этом много статей на английском языке. 2) В 2011-2017 годах были предприняты огромные усилия, чтобы замять скандал о связях могущественных лиц с несовершеннолетними секс-рабынями и откупиться миллионами долларов от тех, кто подал судебные иски. 3) В 2015 году представительница пресс-службы королевской семьи прокомментировала скандал: «Это все относится к длительному и продолжающемуся до сих пор расследованию по гражданскому иску, к которому герцог Йоркский не имеет отношения». 4) В 2011 году британское издание Санди Телеграф поместило на первой полосе сделанную в 2001 году фотографию принца Эндрю, обнимающего за талию 17-летнюю Вирджинию Робертс.
5. Write the text`s summary and its 5 key words in English.
6. Write a paper of 130-150 words on the text`s general idea.
Christmas Eve with Mogul and Muse
The night before Christmas at Donald Trump‘s house in Mar-a-Lago is just like Christmas Eve with any extended family of 400, except for all the gold leaf. And the bomb-sniffing dogs. And only if Mom and Dad had Secret Service code names (“Muse” and “Mogul”) and only if everybody stopped singing Christmas carols and broke into The Star-Spangled Banner when they came into the room. See? Not too different. So, when the invitation for the night-before dinner at Trump’s Beach Shack came, what? I was going to say no to somebody else cooking, serving and cleaning up? Of course, I went. Since my main accessory for the evening was a toddler with a bad case of “hangry,” I opted to arrive as early as possible, clearing the remarkably efficient Secret Service sweep by 6:15 and pulling the last roller from my hair as the valet stepped up to the car. Hey, they know me. They’ve seen worse than that. There was that thing with the pantyhose… The night’s activities were restricted to the Grand Ballroom, so the house itself was quiet, and Christmas-y serene, with the towering Christmas tree and poinsettia plants piled around the fireplace. In the ballroom, the crowd was surprisingly sparse, until I remembered it wasn’t even 6:30, and really, who eats that early besides grandmothers and toddlers? There were buffets at east and west ends of the ballroom offering pretty much everything under the sun, while the south wall was an enormous offering of sweets ranging from pistachio cakes to peppermint bark to giant towers of M&Ms, which became rocket fuel for the younger set. In the time it took to make one trip to the buffet — OK, two — the crowd swelled, and suddenly the entertainment switched from holiday songs to the national anthem as the president-elect and future first lady entered the ballroom and were immediately besieged by selfie-seekers, most of whom the POTUS-elect good-naturedly accommodated. The future First Couple then sat their table, ringed by the Secret Service, had a quiet dinner for two. Probably the last of their alone time for the next four years. Seen in the festive crowd was one blonde — the dumped mistress of a bon vivant who went back to his bill-paying wife — who spent the evening “accidentally” bumping into wealthy men.
1. Find the Russian equivalents of the following.
1) the bomb-sniffing dogs, 2) the Christmas-y serene, 3) a selfie-seeker, 4) the POTUS-elect, 5) the First Couple, 6) the dumped mistress of a bon vivant, 7) a bill-paying wife, 8) to “accidentally” bump into wealthy men. 2. Answer the questions about the text in writing.
1) Where is the Grand Ballroom situated in Mar-a-Lago estate?
2) What does the code name «400 families» mean?
3) Why did the journalist mention gold leaves in Mar-a-Lago Club?
4) What was the Secret Service code names for the President and the First Lady?
5) When the guests were recommended to begin passing Secret Service sweep?
6) What is the meaning of the word POTUS in Latin?
7) Why did the orchestra begin playing the national anthem in the Grand Ballroom?
8) What was the mission of dogs in Mar-a-Lago?
3. Translate the text aurally.
4. Translate into English aurally. 1) В 1985 году во время президентства Рональда Рейгана государственную собственность – «зимний Белый дом» Мар-а-Лаго продали Дональду Трампу по демпинговой цене. 2) Дональд Трамп потратил 7 млн. долларов на то, чтобы нанести сусальное золото на стены бального зала в Мар-а-Лаго. 3) Опубликованы фотографии Рональда Рейгана вместе с Дональдом Трампом, и сообщалось, что у Дональда Трампа имелось письмо Нэнси Рейган, в котором написано, что он станет президентом США. 4) Элита США манипулировала сознанием американцев с помощью американского мультфильма Симпсоны, в котором еще за 21 год до избрания Д. Трампа в 1995 году было показано, что Дональд Трамп стал президентом, и персонаж был нарисован в синем костюме с красным галстуком так, как Д. Трамп одевался во время предвыборной гонки.
5. Write a paper of 130-150 words on the richest 400 families way of life to spend winter months in Palm Beach, FL, and in the President Trump`s Mar-a-Lago Club.
A list of 24 charities leaving Mar-a-Lago
There were more than 90 balls and parties in Mar-a-Lago Club in 2016. It’s all about the semantics. In October 2017, the announcement by the American Red Cross that it was “moving” its tiaras-and-medals event, the International Red Cross Ball, from the Mar-a-Lago Club didn’t quite tell the whole story. Sure, it’s moving, but it’s not stopping anywhere else. Sources are telling us that, after 60 years on the island, the event has been cancelled. As in, not taking place. Gone. Poof. We’re also hearing that Red Cross staffers are furiously scribbling notes to all the donors and committee members apprising them of the situation. No word yet on how this will affect the Young Friends party, the secondary, mostly junior party that was set for late October 2017. Now that it’s the main fundraising event, there’s talk about moving it to New Year’s Eve, the date it had in its wild days, when the media was pushed out at midnight, lest there be inky evidence of the debauchery that was about to commence. Of course, that was back when we could stay up that late. They won’t have to push us out this year. By midnight, we’ve already clapped the lights off and been awakened three times by hot flashes. The defection of big-ticket events is likely a good thing for the members, although they probably won’t admit it. It means hundreds fewer cars clogging the sheriff’s checkpoint, fewer “let’s watch the folks in their finery parade by” gawkers taking up dinner table reservations, and shorter valet waits. And then there’s the human factor. “No one is mentioning the local small businesses that are getting hammered by this decision made by a national organization’s headquarters, who seem to debate the future of their Palm Beach galas every summer because they just don’t —and won’t — understand how Palm Beach fundraising works,” said a source close to the gala. “A lot of hardworking folks who depend on the fundraising season — event setup and breakdown crews, florists, drivers, etc. will be really impacted, not just ‘offended’.” So, there’s that. So far, 24 charities have decided to move or cancel their events planned for Mar-a-Lago this season. Seventeen of those organizations made their decisions in the past week. The others made decisions earlier this year. One group, MorseLife, had two events planned at Mar-a-Lago: Organizers moved the MorseLife dinner from Mar-a-Lago before moving its luncheon from Trump’s club this week. These groups all held events at Mar-a-Lago during the 2016-17 social and fundraising season.
The World Affairs Council Distinguished Speaker Series are the events at Mar-a-Lago - a lavish, $200 million ‘Palace’ in 17-acre estate. In 1995 Trump converted it to a private club. Members enjoy 58 bedrooms, 33 bathrooms, 12 fireplaces and 3 bomb shelters. Like George Bush's Kennebunkport compound and George W. Bush's Crawford, Texas retreat, Trump's Mar-a-Lago is a luxurious escape for Trump family. But unlike George Bush Sr. and George W. Bush's homes, Mar-a-Lago is also a business: a private club and spa.
The WAC Distinguished Speaker Series. Mar-a-Lago Club,1100 South Ocean Boulevard, Palm Beach, Florida 33480. WAC Members Only. Required: Suit or Sports Coat for Men; No Jeans. Time: 6:00 p.m. – Registration & Social. 6:30 p.m. – 7:45 p.m. Speaker Presentation. Reservations: www.worldaffairspalmbeach.org or call (561) 374-2858. 2016-2017 Membership: Diplomat-$5000; Statesman-$2500; Ambassador-$1200; Benefactor-$750; Patron-$500; Family-$295; Individual-$195; Young Friends-$125; Student-$10. WAC members may attend Distinguished Speaker Series events at no charge. The non-member fee is $35 per person per program if payment is received at least 24 hours before the meeting or $40 on the day of the event. Payment may be made by credit card on-line but not at the event. Cancellations of reservations paid by check must be made 48 hours before an event by email
1) the main fundraising event, 2) an inky evidence of the debauchery, 3) a big-ticket event, 4) the local small businesses are getting hammered, 5) Palm Beach galas. 2. Answer the questions about the text in writing.
1) When did the International Red Cross Ball begin for the first time on Palm Beach island?
2) What was the human factor of 24 charities leaving Mar-a-Lago?
3) Why were the journalists pushed out of the Grand Ballroom on a New Year Eve in wild days of the event?
4) What was the mission of the International Red Cross Ball?
5) What is the meaning of the words «big-ticket events»?
3. Translate the text aurally.
4. Translate into English aurally. 1) «Диетой Мар-а-Лаго» называли стиль питания членов этого частного клуба, который требует воздерживаться от употребления картофеля, риса, хлеба и алкоголя. 2) Как правило, члены клуба Мар-а-Лаго пили только натуральный сок выжатых фруктов, но не напитки типа Кока-Колы с большим содержанием сахара и секретной формулой производства. 3) Ежемесячно бывшие послы, члены Совета по международным отношениям читали для членов клуба Мар-а-Лаго лекции о геополитике, чтобы информировать элиту о планировавшемся изменении внешней политики США. 4) Одним из самых престижных был благотворительный бал Красного Креста, который проводили, как правило, в феврале и октябре.
A Grand Strategy
Miller P.D. American Power and Liberal Order: А Conservative Internationalist Grand Strategy. – Washington: Georgetown University Press, 2016, 326 р.
A “Grand Strategy” is the British-American elite`s above top secret 1857 and 1957 long-term plan to employ empire`s all elements of power and resources to fulfill objectives in 100 years, divided by five 20-year periods. The 1857 Grand Strategy objective is expressed in the Cecil Rhodes first will (1877), written while he was still an undergraduate of Oxford at the age of twenty-four: “The extension of British rule throughout the world… the ultimate recovery of the United States of America as an integral part of a British Empire… and finally the foundation of so great a power as to … promote the best interests of humanity.” The 1957 Grand Strategy`s main long-term objective was to ally with the second strongest continental power – China in order to destroy the strongest continental power - USSR. The Grand Strategy also has the objective of pursuing world hegemony/expansion. Hegemony is the ability to dominate all other states on Earth and thus dictate the “rules of the road” of the international system. The Grand Strategy also have 4D objectives (depopulation, deregulation, deindustrialization, dollarization). The Grand Strategy not only uses military methods but also uses nonmilitary options - systemic war (demographic, financial, economic, cultural, information, genetic wars etc.) with the objective to reduce main adversary`s combined strength by reducing all spheres of its national power including primarily the birth rate and the number of youngsters. It also uses operations other the war, covered war, indirect actions. A National Security Strategy is a secret plan for 4 years or 1 year, which follows the Grand Strategy long-term objectives but not fully complies with them. Media uses unclassified Grand Strategy and National Security Strategy texts for disinformation, spreading legends and lies. The requirements of the US military strategy are extremely demanding, as it means that the United States must be able to defeat and impose its will on any of the 4+1 construction of adversaries (Russia, Iran, North Korea, Syria + Islamic State), combination of adversaries (Russia-Syria; Russia-Iran-Syria), or in any other contingency. The military strategy would place significant demands upon the Navy, require very strong air forces and Army. A military strategy of assertive interventionism generates the greatest amount of military power, a higher degree of unilateral action, the highest propensity to use military forces, and seeks to dissuade competitors from challenging U.S. interests. Because it seeks primacy and has the highest deployment and employment tempo, it is the most expensive strategic option. Advocates of a selective engagement strategy contend that the United States should maintain a strong military position only in three regions of vital interest to Washington - Europe, East Asia, and the Persian Gulf. US would need to be able to help defend threatened allies and deter and defeat aggression by adversaries or rivals. Most of the strategists favor continued U.S. engagement, albeit in a more restrained, highly selective, and strategically sustainable way. A military strategy of offshore balancing requires a substantial withdrawal of the U.S. military presence from Asia, the Persian Gulf, and Europe, and the reintroduction of those forces only if one of these key regions appeared to be in danger of falling under the sway of a regional hegemon - Russia. Proponents of this strategy emphasize that the United States would save much in terms of lives, resources, and political capital through a more detached posture, but would nonetheless retain a substantial military capability to intervene again if circumstances warranted it.
1. Find the Russian equivalents of the following.
1) the “rules of the road” of the international system, 2) the 4+1 construction of adversaries, 3) to seek primacy, 4) a regional hegemon. 2. Answer the questions about the text in writing.
1) What is the objective of maintaining the US hegemony?
2) What is the difference between a Grand Strategy and a military strategy?
3) What is the difference between International Order and New World Order?
4) What countries were included in the «4+1» adversary construction?
5) What was considered to be the most expensive strategic option?
6) Did a strategy of selective engagement imply the strong US military position in the Far East?
7) What countries were considered to be regional hegemons? 3. Translate the text in writing.
4. Translate into English aurally. 1) Д. Рокфеллер в 1957 году оплатил работу экспертов, которые разработали текст грандстратегии американской империи на сто лет. 2) Генри Киссинджер, который не имел высшего образования, был директором группы экспертов, которые в 1957 г. писали второй раздел грандстратегии, наметивший цели долгосрочного плана на столетие. 3) Начальник генерального штаба Британии в 1999 г. сказал, что война запланирована до 2050 года. 4) Во время выступления перед сотрудниками Корпорации РЭНД президент Совета по международным отношениям Ричард Хаас заявил, что Америка имеет «плановые войны» (war of agenda).
5. Write the text`s summary and its 5 key words in English.
6. Write a paper of 130-150 words on the US Grand Strategy`s long-term plan to use China against the USSR/Russia.
A Strategy of Restraint http://web.mit.edu/SSP/people/posen/A_Grand_Strategy_of_Restraint_and_Renewal_testimony_for_congress_july_15.pdf
Restraint strategy dictates that, in Eurasia, the United States would do best to conserve resources and to force Russia not to be a candidate for hegemony. China may ultimately bid for regional hegemony. But other states in Asia have considerable capacity to balance China, and rather than rushing the net toward a Cold War against China, the United States should begin to energize these states to make reasonable contributions to their own security. Zero nuclear proliferation will be difficult to achieve—among other things, it could require costly and ineffective preventive wars. The United States should do what it can to slow proliferation, and confine possession of nuclear weapons to states that can be deterred because they have something to lose, and keep them out of the hands of independent groups, who may not be deterred because they have little to lose. This requires much more active cooperation with those states that possess nuclear weapons to ensure the highest standards of control and safety. Finally, peculiar terrorist groups with vast ambitions, such as al-Qaeda, will arise from time to time. Global cooperation to improve defenses and collect intelligence is the best answer. Wars to secure ungoverned or poorly governed spaces and attempts to build strong democracies have foundered on nationalist resistance to outside forces, and inter-group enmities. Because invasion antagonizes local populations and generates new recruits for terror, kinetic solutions should be used sparingly. I want to emphasize that the military strategy and structure of Restraint is essentially maritime - “command of the commons.” The United States should invest its scarce military power in the maintenance of an ability to access the rest of the world. It should reduce, however, its regular military presence in the rest of the world. The United States should avoid certain missions altogether, especially coercive state and nation building. Thus, the United States can radically cut the ground forces that seem most apt for garrison duties and counterinsurgency. Major force structure cuts should allow the United States to save significant amounts of money, cutting the defense budget to perhaps 2.5 percent of GDP. Unless the United States begins to recognize the limitations of its power and its resources — as well as the uncertain effects that such decisions can have — it will forever overreach, overspend, and overcommit. As a realist, an advocate of American restraint, I think attacking Iran’s nuclear facilities is a bad idea. The upshot is that if a successful attack is a sporting proposition for the much smaller Israeli air force, it will be a fait accompli for the powerful American air force. The analysis implies that the delay of the Iranian nuclear program brought by a successful attack could be quite considerable, if not permanent.
1) to force Russia not to be a candidate for hegemony, 2) to rush the net toward a Cold War against China, 3) it could require preventive wars, 4) al-Qaeda will arise from time to time, 5) the USA and the rest of the world, 6) a nation building, 7) forever overreach, overspend, and overcommit. 2. Answer the questions about the text in writing.
1) Why did the US congress discuss the Grand Strategy in 2008?
2) Who was considered to have capacity of balancing China?
3) What is the meaning of a deterrence policy?
4) What is the meaning of a nation building?
5) What may be consequences of attacking Iran’s nuclear facilities?
6) Why did Posen think Russia is no longer a candidate for hegemony?
7) Why was the strategy of restraint essentially maritime?
4. Translate into English aurally. 1) Американские СМИ для обмана иностранцев давали военным стратегиям название «грандстратегия», хотя их продолжительность не имела срок 100 лет. 2) В СМИ США способом маскировки грандстратегии было то, что план действий на 20 лет называли термином «грандстратегия», хотя он являлся всего лишь пятой частью столетнего плана. 3) Эксперты геополитики для маскировки методов реализации грандстратегии в открытых публикациях использовали коды, примером которых было непереводимое сочетание слов «offshore ballancing».
Trump`s Most Controversial National Security Aid Is Out
August 19, 2017 Sebastian Gorka, one of the most controversial figures in the controversy-laden Trump administration, left his job at the White House. Though he apparently issued a resignation letter, the White House is insisting that he did not resign — implying that he was fired. Gorka was serving as a deputy assistant to President Trump, focusing on national security and terrorism. Gorka’s full name is Sebastian L. v. Gorka — a name that sounds normal (if a touch pretentious) to Americans, but that raised eyebrows in Hungary, where Gorka’s parents are from and where he lived from 1992 to 2007. That’s because the lowercase-v denotes membership in a group called the Vitézi Rend (Order of Vitéz), a far-right nationalist group in Hungary originally founded by fascist dictator Miklós Horthy. Gorka swore an oath of allegiance to the Vitézi Rend, according to its leaders, in which he promised that he had “never betrayed my Hungarianness” and would follow orders from the group’s leaders “for the rest of my life.” In 2002, Gorka applied for a security clearance to work in Hungary’s Ministry of Defense — and failed the background check. His claims about his past, including work for the British intelligence agency MI6, did not check out. “Sebastian Gorka is not a Nazi or a security threat because he is some sort of secret British agent,” a member of Hungary’s counterintelligence service told Buzzfeed’s Mitch Prothero. “Gorka is, how do you say in English — a peddler of snake oil.” In the White House, Gorka was initially supposed to work on the Strategic Initiatives Group — a Bannon-masterminded alternative to the National Security Council. And Gorka became perhaps the most prominent administration official publicly defending Trump’s controversial travel ban, a Bannon-crafted policy, in part because he seemed to actually believe the ideas that justified it. But over time, Bannon and his allies began to lose influence in the White House. On foreign policy, the administration has adopted an essentially conventional stance on issues ranging from NATO to Syria to Afghanistan — the last of which, Trump’s decision to send more US troops to Afghanistan, Gorka specifically cited in his resignation letter. Running a government is hard — especially when you don’t know how to do it, and even more so when you’re competing against people who do. Steve Bannon lost and ultimately left the White House; and his allies like Gorka were leaving right behind him.
1. Find the Russian equivalents of the following.
1) controversy-laden Trump administration, 2) a resignation letter, 3) a security clearance. 4) to fail the background check, 5) a peddler of snake oil, 6) the National Security Council, 7) a Bannon-crafted policy. 2. Answer the questions about the text in writing.
1) Did Sebastian L. v. Gorka`s name sound normal to Americans?
2) Was Gorka a native American?
3) Whom did Gorka swear an oath of allegiance?
4) Why did Gorka promise in a swear that he would never betray his Hungarianness?
5) Why did Gorka fail the background check to work in Hungary’s Ministry of Defense?
6) Why did the secret British MI6 agent become deputy assistant to the US President, focusing on national security?
3. Translate the text aurally.
4. Translate into English aurally. 1) Советник по национальной безопасности, как правило, имел воинский чин генерал-лейтенанта и три генеральские звезды. 2) Кабинет советника по национальной безопасности находится в западном крыле Белого дома. 3) Заместитель советника по нацбезопасности проводит брифинги для прессы. 4) Штат предусматривает, что сотрудники подразделения советника по нацбезопасности ведут исследования и разведывательную деятельность, чтобы предоставлять президенту США и членам Совета по национальной безопасности аналитические материалы по геополитике и военной политике.
National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster
http://www.en.wikipedia.org.wiki/ H.R. McMaster
February 20, 2017 the U.S. President Donald Trump named McMaster to serve as his National Security Advisor following the forced resignation of Michael T. Flynn. McMaster intends to remain on active duty while he serves as national security adviser. Senator John McCain, the Armed Services Committee chairman, commented «I have had the honor of knowing [McMaster] for many years, and he is a man of genuine intellect, character, and ability». In 1997, McMaster published a book harshly criticizing high-ranking officers of the Vietnam War era. The book was widely read in Pentagon circles and included in military reading lists. In 2003, McMaster completed an Army War College research fellowship at Stanford University's Hoover Institution. On June 29, 2006 he joined the International Institute for Strategic Studies in London, as a Senior Research Associate. In August 2008, McMaster at Fort Monroe, Virginia, served in U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command. He was preparing the part of Grand Strategy to guide the Army over the next twenty years to 2027. On June 29, 2009 he was promoted. In July 2010, he was selected to be the Deputy to the Commander for Planning, at Headquarters in Kabul, Afghanistan. In 2011, Army Chief of Staff Martin Dempsey remarked that McMaster was "probably our best Brigadier General." In July 2014, McMaster pinned on his third star when he began his duties as Deputy Commanding General of the Training and Doctrine Command. In April 2014, McMaster made Time's list of the 100 most influential people in the world. He was hailed as "the architect of the future U.S. Army" in the accompanying piece written by retired Lt. Gen. Dave Barno, who commanded U.S. and allied forces in Afghanistan from 2003 to 2005. "Major General Herbert Raymond McMaster might be the 21st century Army's pre-eminent warrior-thinker," Barno wrote, commenting on McMaster's "impressive command and unconventional exploits in the second Iraq war." Barno also stated, "Recently tapped for his third star, H.R. is also the rarest of soldiers—one who has repeatedly bucked the system and survived to join its senior ranks." In 2014, retired Army Gen. Jack Keane, a former Army vice chief, commented “It is heartening to see the Army reward such an extraordinary general officer who is a thought leader and innovator while also demonstrating sheer brilliance as a wartime brigade commander».
1. Translate the text aurally on the spot.
2. Find the Russian equivalents of the following.
1) to remain on active duty, 2) a man of genuine intellect, character, and ability, 3) the 100 most influential people in the world list, 4) pre-eminent warrior-thinker, 5) to repeatedly buck the system. 3. Answer the questions about the text in writing.
1) Why was National Security Advisor Michael T. Flynn forced to resign?
2) What was Michael T. Flynn`s resignation pretext?
3) Why was McMaster considered to be the «brilliant wartime brigade commander»?
4) What was McMaster 1997 book`s objective?
5) Why did McMaster make Time's 2014 list of the 100 most influential people in the world?
4. Translate into English aurally. 1) Советник по нацбезопасности генерал-лейтенант Брент Скоукрофт подписал секретную директиву NSCD № 375 от 25.10.1975 г. о ведении глобальной демографической войны и маскировки ее программами планирования семьи, деятельностью международных организаций. 2) Советник по нацбезопасности во время войны работает под Белым домом в ситуационной комнате и непрерывно информирует президента об изменении обстановки. 3) Каждый понедельник подразделение, подчиненное советнику по нацбезопасности, представляет президенту еженедельный обзор международной и военной обстановки в мире. 4) Еженедельный обзор обстановки составляют на основе обобщения докладов 17 государственных разведок и докладов исследовательских центров, которые поступают в Белый дом в пятницу.
The US military presence abroad
According to the DOD statistics as of June 30, 2017 nearly 300,000 of the US active-duty personnel was